Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas!

As we grew older some things began to change a bit but most of this remained in some form or other. Christmas began to focus more on our immediate family rather than our grandparents but we would still visit them on Christmas afternoon. Christmas dinner was moved to Mama’s and Daddy’s. We began having the traditional turkey and dressing as well as the baked ham. And Christmas gifts were exchanged after dinner.

Then traditions of our own evolved. As each of us had children and in-laws to think about we would spend one day at our parents and the other at the in-laws house. But some of these traditions remained. I still do the *updated* version of the gift bags and I still believe in Santa. I told my son that if and when he ever stopped believing in Santa Claus that his Christmas presents would stop because I wasn't getting him anything! Santa still comes on Christmas Eve after everyone is in bed asleep. Christmas dinner is still turkey and dressing with as many fixin's as I can handle. We still had lots to eat and more gifts than we needed. But most importantly we had the love of family and friends to share and enjoy.

This year my family is just my son and me. The step family has gotten so large and diversified that they cannot come this year. My brother and I are still estranged and my nieces all have families or their own. So Jason and I will share our Christmas spirit over a nice dinner and enjoy the small surprises that Santa leaves in our stockings. I am just so grateful to have him with me. He is still the light of my life.

I leave you with these parting words:

No matter how large or small your family is, enjoy them and love them and be thankful for them. Make some Christmas Traditions of your own. You may be surprised just how important they become as your children grow and move on with their lives. Even the smallest thing may be remembered as the best thing!


Merry Christmas to each of you!


Until next time....


No comments: